IFR Training Progress

The training flight on the 24th of April was a humbling experience.  The weather was challenging with significant convective activity and a risk of icing, but the trend was for the better, so I proceeded with the flight.

The departure from Langley was routine by I received my hold clearance just as I reached the Whatcom VOR beacon which was the hold fix.  At that moment I also transitioned into the cloud.  The combination of a last second hold clearance, a loss of visual reference, a right turn, convective turbulence, and a requirement for an expedited climb to 6000 feet resulted in some considerable thrashing around in the sky.

I did end up losing almost 200 feet in an incipient spiral dive at one point until I got it under control.  I was scrambling very hard to keep it together.  However, I did manage to intercept and hold on the specified radial and time it to a one minute inbound leg.

The flight over the Georgia Straight was in clear sky, but the cloud started again west of the YYJ VOR.  I managed the transition cleanly, remembered the approach timer, and managed the overshoot properly.  However, I turned too early on the missed approach procedure.  The requirement is to turn to the Active Pass NDB after five miles out DME and at 3000 feet.  I simply turned as soon as I reached the five mile fix.  I also managed to get the wrong plate in front of me by the time I was referring to the decision height!

The approach into Abbotsford was complicated by the fact that the ATIS had been disabled by a lightning strike the day before.  The non-precision approach worked out alright, although I was south of the runway, I could have made the circling approach.  We didn't land as there was glider activity.

What went poorly:
 - confusion over the proper plate to be used in the tools list
 - failed to reach the proper altitude before turning in the missed approach
 - difficulty controlling the aircraft in convective cloud at low speed

What went well:
 - the new check lists pinned to the sun-visor are excellent
 - radio communication is now almost routinely competent

7.3 hours remaining to be logged before the flight test.

Comments

Popular Posts