Western Canada Tribe Chief Report

 It has been a while since my last report.  Been very cold and the GPS was being installed in the aircraft so very little has been going on in the air at my end.  The end of the extreme cold is looking positive for perpetrating aviation this weekend and so on!


Cold Weather Starting
I've attached service bulletin SI1505 from Lycoming about your O540 or O360 engine.  It is recent and blunt.  If the engine is below -12 degrees Centigrade you are rolling dice with your engine and your safety if you start it.

I keep a thermometer on the wall of my hanger and various implements for blowing hot air.  A quick non-contact thermometer can be picked up at Canadian Tire to check the temperature of the oil sump.  I use one of those small forced air ceramic electric heaters, placed up inside the nose wheel well, and let it run for an hour or so with the engine blanket over it.

At the same time I also put a hot air heater (set to low heat) in the cabin.  Your gyros do not like getting up to speed when cold and it will wear them out quickly.

Be careful measuring temperature with your hands - if they've been out in the cold then -15 might feel quite warm to you but your engine will not appreciate it.  If a bit of snow melts then it is definitely above freezing and you are good to go.

Make sure you have multi-weight oil (thin when cold) in the engine.  I use Phillips 20W50 (the stuff in the blue plastic jugs) but there is plenty of choice and guidance around.  If you are unfamiliar with what that means then I can recommend some further resources to get you up to speed.

Equipment
My work on the twin's fuel selector valve has stalled for the last few months but I am being gently encouraged to speed up and I will do so.  I've disassembled an example and understand how it works and one of our technical committee members has tracked down a likely vendor who seems plausible.  We will be approaching them soon with a request for a proposal.

The Australian oleo strut replacement has had the initial submission for approval submitted to Transport Canada.  A secure source of supply is not yet ready but they are working on it.

There are still a few people out there who seem unsure if the Australian horn is approved for use in Canada.  It absolutely is and I have the approval paperwork.  Please send anyone with doubts my way and I'll get that in their hands.

Meetings
I've managed to attend a few board meetings and the business of the association is proceeding more smoothly.  The restrictions imposed by various governments during the pandemic are going to affect our presence at various events (and the events themselves) but we will press on where we can.  We are going to try a Zoom meeting soon and I look forward to seeing some faces.  I've spoken to many of these folks for years but never seen them.

Comments

Popular Posts