Emergency Gear Extension

CF-NZB during its annual
CF-NZB is a PA-24-250 Comanche.  During my first extensive annual with this aircraft I managed to get a chance to implement the emergency gear extension as part of the gear swing.  I am certainly pleased that I managed this:  if it had of been during a real emergency there could have been considerable difficulty.

There is a small red latch that must be swung forward in order to disengage the jack screw.  This requires a surprising amount of strength in order to accomplish.  Once disengaged the handle slides out, the gear swings smoothly, and I could feel the gear linkages lock over-centre with a satisfying thump.

I also discovered that the wrong emergency placard was installed in this 1960 aircraft!  The red painted metal placard was riveted in place and was clearly referring to the incorrect aircraft.  I'll be preparing a replacement based on the information available in the pilot's operating handbook I obtained from the Comanche Owner's Society.

Comments

Popular Posts