Fort McMurray to Saskatchewan

CF-NZB panel
During the summer of 2014 I flew VFR several times from CYMM Fort McMurray to CYXE Saskatoon.   There was a certain amount of stress in attempting to use a VFR aircraft for commuting on a scheduled basis, but I always got through all right.  Several of the challenges included thunderstorms, smoke from forest fires, low ground cover fog, and low visibility due to haze. There was also the matter of learning the various quirks and character of a 1960 PA-24-250 that had been pulled out of a barn after several years.

The Primrose Lake CYR 204 area sits across the direct route to Saskatoon.  It has a zone to the north that allows flight below 7000 feet.  I usually chose the eastern route, flew below 7000, and skirted around the eastern side of Canoe Lake before turning south for Saskatoon.  The western route involves navigating through the Cold Lake airbase control area.  The cruise in either case was 5500 feet until out from beneath the restricted air-space, and then up to 7500 or 9500.  Total time enroute was 2.3 hours give or take a few minutes.

Flight in June, July, and August meant continual thunderstorm activity.  There were a few trips
where things got busy:  dodging storms, a 7000 foot roof, and a wall of restricted airspace on one side.  One afternoon the storms made a fence marching east to west across Saskatchewan.  It was an amazing sight, but I was glad to be on the other side.  What looks like a wide open path can still have considerable turbulence and even though I was kept clear I still got knocked around.

Sunrise through smoke
There were several weeks of reduced visibility due to forest fires in northern Alberta and Saskatchewan.  Early morning departures resulted in an hour of low visibility as the sun rose.  The sun baked off the fog but the smoke was variable.  It seemed to come and go across the landscape in chunks about 10 miles across.  I was never reduced to low altitude cruises but it kept me sharp scanning the landscape estimating how much visibility I had, and paying careful attention to radio chatter 126.7.  During an arrival in Fort McMurray I was very grateful for the light rain and moderate wind:  it cleared away the smoke!

Those few months of commuting with VFR flight rules were a real eye opener and it motivated my desire for an IFR rating.  The constant low level stress of keeping one eye on the forecast all the time, wondering if I would have to jump in the plane early, or delay my flight, meant that the turn-around time really wasn't relaxing.

On the plus side I got to spend some time dealing with the Shell Aerocenter FBO at CYXE and that was a real pleasure.  They looked after me and my air-craft quickly and efficiently.  There was also a cool clear August morning flight with blue skies and smooth air all the way from the family farm to Fort McMurray.
A perfect day

Comments

Popular Posts