Emergency Gear Extension Part II

Release procedure
After six weeks in the mechanic's shop, and two in the painter's shop, I managed to get the aircraft (CF-NZB) in the air for a few hours.  The weather was high overcast with the sun shining through in places and no wind at all.  All the pavement everywhere was shiny with water left over from the previous night's rain.

The plane worked very well and managed book speeds during the run from Langley to Harrison Springs via the north side of the Fraser river.  The various speeds, temperatures, pressures, rpm, manifold pressure, and fuel flow all lined up and agreed with each other.

The flight was to end with several circuits at Pitt Meadows.  The aircraft did not cooperate.

During the first touch and go the rpm did not rise to 2575, but instead topped out at about 2400.  The aircraft accelerated well, the manifold pressure was right, and the oil temperatures and pressures were good, so the take-off continued.  The plane was cleaned up and I established down-wind quickly with no trouble.  I decided to continue the circuits and see what was up as I suspected the tach was still acting up even though it had been replaced.

When I reached out to lower the gear I noticed that the gear up light was not on!  The rpm issue had distracted me enough that I had not noticed.  I checked between the seats and the extension handle was where it was supposed to be: flat against the floor.  I toggled the gear down and it did not move.

My downwind leg was extending fast and I let the tower know what was going on.  He recommended a flyby and I agreed.  Various pilots started chatter and the tower cut in announcing that he didn't know what was going on.  I gave my position and intentions.  Well before anyone could look at anything I was past.  At this point I asked for some space to the north-west to figure this out.

I slowed down, leaned out, and flew in a circle.  There was at least five hours of fuel so I had lots of time.  I attempted to reset the breakers and at this point discovered that the side panel had been installed over top of them!  I really could not tell if they were in or out.  The breakers were cool, the floor was not hot, and the switch was dead.  The gear would not move up or down.

At this point I opened the panel, flipped the release tab that disengaged the electric transmission, and swung the lever up to the nose wheel well.  The gear deployed with a smooth satisfactory thunk and the green down and locked light light up.  Pitt tower cleared me direct to Langley and I took the aircraft home.  The landing was a very soft and gentle.  Perhaps the nicest one I have ever performed.

Little was found during the subsequent inspection.  The mechanics put the plane up on jacks and the gear worked perfectly.  They adjusted the limit switch.  There was some suspicion that the new brake lines may have coiled oddly and jammed the gear on the way up, popping the breaker, so these were re-routed.

This was the first time anything like this has happened to me.  It is very likely that it would not have happened if I hadn't rebuilt the gear in the first place.  Actual irony.  I'll be flying the aircraft again in the next few weeks and I am looking forward to smooth and trouble free operation.

Comments

Popular Posts