IFR Training Langley Victoria Abbotsford

Another training flight was finished last Saturday.  The flight went well but it revealed a weakness in my technique when it comes to the approach briefing, particularly while in a hold.  The moment that I begin the briefing I allow the aircraft to drift off heading, off altitude, and miss the occasional radio call.  Getting the weather, charts, and avionics set up and ready is fine.  Flying the aircraft down the approach is fine.  Performing the briefing while under pressure is a problem.


I will practice several of these while in a hold in the simulator and see if I can't sharpen up the routine while flying the aircraft. 


Keeping the relevant chart nailed to the kneeboard would also help.  I referred to the 07 approach at Abbotsford as 27 several times.


Items to fix:
 - keep the chart front and center at all times
 - actually check the weather minimums during the ATIS
 - watch for NOTAM, cold, remote altimeter, and minimum altitude limits during the briefing
 - make sure the approach briefing includes the missed approach procedure
 - include the communication failure procedure in the departure briefing

Comments

Popular Posts