Old Piper Comanche Advertisement

This advertisement came to my attention a few weeks ago on the A2A Simulations forum.  I was immediately impressed by how cheerfully dishonest the representation of the interior of a Piper Comanche is.  The illustration makes the cabin appear to have the same proportions as a living room.  Even the storm window has been exaggerated!

One can't help feeling that the advertiser felt the pilots reading it had to be in on the joke.  That we were all well aware that no such class, space, and grace is involved in piloting such an aircraft. 

I do wish travelling by air in one's own aircraft were this classy.  That it did have an air of sophisticated ease and spacious comfort.

However, the actuality is much different.  That pilot is not covered by a tangle of wires from his headset, he is not sweaty from an overheated cabin full of sunlight, his thumbnail is not torn and broken, he does not stink of aviation fuel, and he does not have an engine oil-stained wad of paper towel shoved in his pocket.

A few years ago I had a flight that approximated that level of class.  I flew into Saskatoon from Ft. McMurray for a short visit.  I called ahead to the classy FBO and they guided me to parking spot with those little flashlight cones.  I tossed them the keys so they could park CF-NZB in a hanger.

My wife was there to meet me in the swish lounge, wearing a dress, with a car waiting, and we drove off for supper (after I put on a clean shirt).  Very classy.

Upon departure a few days later they had the aircraft full of fuel, warmed up, and waiting out front.  All I had to do was walk around and look in the tanks.  Two hours and twenty minutes later I was tying the aircraft down on a wet gravel apron, complete with high damp weeds, in the rain, while being chewed on by mosquitoes.  The contrast could not have been more stark.

Comments

Popular Posts