Hood Time in the Comanche

 Spent an hour on Sunday practicing approaches in the Comanche.  Had a pilot in the right seat and I flew the entire training exercise with a view limiting device.  Turbulent conditions but I kept my head down the entire time with three precision approaches to 09, 27, and 33 at CYXE.

I would have made all three approaches to minimums easily.  Heads up at 200 feet and was right on the centerline.  Errors made during include:

  • Missed putting the prop to full fine on the first approach, and
  • Missed putting flaps down on all three approaches.
I am also still a bit slow at activating the approach and selecting the fix that I am cleared to.

My error has been attempting to activate a direct to leg from the flight plan window.  Instead I should be loading the approach (or activating it) and then tapping the direct to button to get the above window.

Once that is finished I can then tap the "FPL" tab and select the appropriate fix and activate it.

Spending that much time under the hood was an excellent confidence booster.  I kept ahead of the aircraft at all times without concern.  I should really be doing this more often rather than flying around with the autopilot.

Comments

Popular Posts