Flying on Ice

Took the aircraft up for a quick flight on Saturday.  Had several people drop by as I was prepping the aircraft as the runway was covered with ice and snow.  And, yes, I went flying.  My last flight was the 10th of October - the weather has been terrible and work has been inconvenient.

It was a bit of a process as I wanted to add a quart of cam-guard, clear off all the frost, and do a very thorough pre-flight as this was the first flight after the annual.  The temperature was about freezing, so it wasn't too uncomfortable.

I did do a taxi check on the runway before taking off.  Brought the aircraft up to about 40 knots and hit the brakes.  It came to a stop in a controllable manner and in a reasonable distance, so I went back and got clearance for takeoff.

Practiced my cross-wind landing on the way home as I used the longer runway at Langley (25) just in case.  Also held the aircraft to the 65 knot short final air-speed.  Rolled to a stop without brakes in the first 1/2 of the runway and backtracked.

I was pleased to see a few more people go flying after I landed.  Someone has to go first, I guess.  Like penguins on an ice flo watching for sea-lions.

Comments

Popular Posts