YXE to YPA and return

 The training flight this evening invoved the ERDED ONE departure from Saskatoon.  Sadly, I did not bother to check the weather (or the runway) and the simulator set me up on runway 15.  I only figured this out after departure because again I had the OBS set to what I expected and when I start it was right on course.

Once that bit of clumsiness had been figured out and I was on track to Prince Albert I managed to select the RNAV 26 and configure it properly.  I had the weather set to stormy and rough so it was a challenge but I managed  to intercept the glideslope properly and maintained the course.  I had the autopilot set to only follow a heading (which is what my current one can do) so this worked out ok.

The missed approach was awkward.  I didn't know how to reverse course in a hurry in the GPS or activate the missed approach so I ended up overshooting the hold point.  I knew which way to fly so I headed back to Saskatoon and climbed to 6000 feed to figure it out.

I set the wind to favour ILS 09 and activated that approach.  My plates are current and the GPS approach is from 2009 so I didn't have the proper waypoints for the ILS advisory to final so I set up the avionics and activated a course direct to the waypoint.

This worked but I no longer had CYXE as a destination.  I managed to descent to 4000 and intercept the ILS properly.  However, I failed to intercept the glideslope as I was still expecting to see some range data and I had the VOR 2 set to something else and the range data was wrong.  I also had the map data set to minimum so the airport didn't show up either.

So I flew right over the airport at 4000 feet wondering when the glideslope needle was going to come in.  This would have been a fail for sure.  

More practice is required setting up the proper approach, remembering to select VLOC on the CDI indicator, and using other avionics to double check what I have going on the GPS.

I also need to figure out why I can't ident the ILS using the GPS.  I presume there is some configuration thing I have wrong.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts